Brandeis University National Women's Committee created (summer 1948)
First library opens in a former stable (autumn 1948)
Goldfarb Library opens (1959)
Rapaporte Treasure Hall opens (1962)
Gerstenzang Science Library opens (1966)

 

Brandeis University National Women's Committee created (summer 1948);
First library opens in a former stable (autumn 1948)

Books for Brandeis During the summer of 1948 the Brandeis University National Women's Committee was created to establish and maintain a library for the newly formed University. Filling the shelves By the time the first students arrived in October, the Women's Committee had filled the shelves of the first library, in what once a stable, with a collection of 10,000 books and periodicals. The National Women's Committee began with eight founders; within two years it had grown to 16,000 members in forty-nine chapters. First Library

Goldfarb Library opens (1959)

Goldfarb Library The Jacob A. and Bertha Goldfarb Library opened in 1959 with a collection of 156,360 volumes. This was the first completely new facility built for the Libraries.

Rapaporte Treasure Hall opens (1962)

The Samuel, Junior and Rieka Rapaporte Treasure Hall, new home of the library's special and rare book collections, opened in 1962.

Gerstenzang Science Library opens (1966)

The Leo Z. Gerstenzang Science Library opened in 1966. Brandeis University now had three facilities (the Goldfarb Library, the Rapaporte Treasure Hall, and the Gerstenzang Science Library) offering library collections totaling 334,295 volumes.