Create and Edit Blocks
Blocks are areas within in your LATTE course that have special capabilities or content. Blocks can be customized to enhance and highlight the information you share with your students in your course. In LATTE, there are default blocks, which cannot be removed or edited, and there are blocks which can be added or customized for your courses needs.
In your LATTE course, you will find these default blocks:
- LATTE Course Tools: Show/Hide your course, enroll participants, upload/download course syllabus, view photo roster
- People: Includes a link to a list of Participants in your course.
- Activities: This block lets you view a list of all course activities, including forums, assignments, quizzes, etc.
- Quickmail: Send e-mails to all participants in the class.
You can choose to add these blocks to your course homepage:
- Blog Menu & Blog Tags: The blog feature of LATTE is currently under experimentation, and only limited support for blog features are available.
- Calendar & Upcoming Events: Displays events related to your students use of LATTE, such as when course assignments are due and activities are scheduled. You can also add user:specific events as reminders to yourself using options in the Upcoming Events block. The Calendar & Upcoming Events blocks should be used in conjunction with each other to maximize your use of these blocks.
- Courses (Course Categories): Displays a menu of current LATTE courses. Due to the limited capabilities of this block within your course, it is recommended that you do not add this block.
- HTML: Displays text and hyperlinks you create to share with your students in a block format.
- Latest News:Displays the latest announcements to your students that you compose in the "Course News & Announcement" forum; this forum is included in each LATTE course by default, but may be deleted.
- Messages: Allows you and students to send individual messages to each other in LATTE. Students must be logged into their LATTE course to send and read messages. If you wish to contact a student outside of LATTE, please use the Quickmail block to send the student an email to their Brandeis email account.
- My Other Courses: Displays to each student the courses they are registered for but are not active in LATTE; this block is included in each students' MyLATTE page by default. Due to the limited value of this block within your course, it is recommended that you do not add this block.
- Online Users: Shows you and students who is logged into LATTE.
- Recent Activity: Shows the most recent changes and activities within the course since the last time the user logged in.
- Remote RSS Feeds: Allows you to share RSS feeds from Web sites outside of LATTE within your course. This feature is especially useful for keeping up with current events. If you want assistance setting up RSS feeds using this block, please contact LATTE Help to set up an appointment.
- Search Forums:Allows you and students to search through the discussion forums in the class for a particular subject.
- Section Links: If your course outline is long, adding a Section Link blocks will help students navigate to the right weekly or topic section.
To add a block
Step 1: Click the "Turn editing on" button on the upper right hand of the course homepage.
Step 2: A new block called Blocks will appear on the right hand side of the course homepage with a drop down menu of all available blocks.
Step 3: Choose the block you want to add to your course from . The block will then appear on your course homepage.
In order to better can move blocks you add either to the left or right hand side of your course, or up and down in relation to other blocks.
To move a block
Step 1: Click the "Turn editing on" button on the upper right hand side of the course homepage.
Step 2: Click the right or left arrow displayed under the block title to move the block to the right or to the left of the course homepage; (or) Click the up or down arrow displayed under the block title to move the block up or down in the column.
To delete a box from your course:
Step 1: Click the "Turn editing on..." button on the upper right hand side of your course homepage.
Step 2: Click on the delete icon in the block you want to remove.
About Duplicate Blocks
Duplicate blocks may appear when a LATTE course is created manually. To remove duplicate blocks from the course homepage, you must Turn editing on and remove the extra blocks by selecting the delete icon in the header of the block you want to remove.