Main Library Hours
Film Collection and Policies
The Brandeis University Library has a collection of nearly 5,000 films in DVD, VHS, and online formats that circulate for individual and classroom viewing. The Library's film collection includes but is not limited to, popular titles, foreign movies, documentaries and classics. Faculty, staff, and students should note the following:
- Location of VHS and DVD items: All library-owned films are located on the first floor of the Main Library in the InfoCommons. It is a browsing collection open to the entire Brandeis community.
- Borrowing: Non-reserve films can be borrowed for seven days (up to 5 items at a time) unless placed on reserve. Instructors are encouraged to place videos to be used in their classes on reserve. Videos on reserve circulate in-house for four hours.
- Fines Policy: Videos are subject to the same overdue fines as library books, $0.25 per item per day. The maximum overdue fine is $100.00. Replacement cost for all film is $110.00 or the cost of the film, whichever is higher.
- Faculty Privileges: Faculty interested in reserving a film for classroom viewing may do so by contacting the Reserve Services at email@example.com or 781-736-4630. Faculty can designate a proxy to pick up film.
- Ordering a video: Suggestions for purchase of film may be submitted online or at the Information and Borrowing desk.
- Illegally produced videos: Reserve Services may place a personally owned film on reserve as long as it is a legally obtained copy. Any duplicated or off-air taped film will be returned to the faculty member through intercampus mail.
- Academic and screening policies and procedures: The University has rules for showing videos for academic purposes on campus. See the appropriate Policies and Procedures.